Sunday 23 January 2011

Trad Mod

I've banged-on before about Cornishware, a delightful china that is indelibly associated with England from the 1920s to the 1950s, and that has recently been revived:


Traditionally its colours represent the skies and seas and clouds of Cornwall. This is a particular favourite of mine - the Dreadnought jug:


But things are going a bit crazy at TG Green, the manufacturers (or, in truth, the designers and brand managers - it's all manufactured in China now).

For they have introduced Cornishware in a rather startling red.


I have to say I wasn't immediately sold on this idea, not least because I don't much like my much-loved traditions being interfered with.

But then I encountered the 1.5 litre juice jug in red...


Yeah, that sold it to me.

I'm not a huge fan of earthenware for cups or even plates, but I do like it as kitchenware. There's something immensely satisfying about handling a solid Cornishware jug as I go about my baking. And for eating outdoors I think these are rather fine.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed, earthenware is at its best for jugs. Plates have a nasty tendency to chip round the edges, and the glaze doesn't seem very good at coping with hot coffee and tea (which in any case calls for bone china to taste right) so it's with less than pleasure that I resort to bleach, or even Harpic, to make them fresh & bright inside.

LeDuc said...

Harpic? I find the dishwasher works magic on crockery: I haven't had to bleach a cup for more than a decade.

Anonymous said...

I'm all in for a bit of bleach, I even read in a book celebrating British Brands, that domestos was even advertised for such tasks.

I like dishwasher but never trust what is going on inside, a luddite of dishwashers I am not, but trusting, no.

LeDuc said...

If for some unfathomable reason I was only permitted to have one consumer durable, I would probably keep my dishwasher. I love it. I love not having to push my hands into greasy detergenty water. My God, I hate washing up.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that someone as otherwise virtuous should own up to having feet of clay! I hate wasting electricity and water, hence still do mine the old-fashioned way unless several of us have eaten and had a few drinks and then it's nice to go to bed and let Maisie take the strain... she does indeed restore earthenware mugs to mint condition.

Niall said...

If you are thinking of buying some, you can get 25% off with a Dorset Cereals promotion that's going on now. I won't use mine so I can send you the code if you like?
As this is your third or forth post about it, something tells me you have a mild liking for it?

LeDuc said...

Niall: that's so kind of you, thank you. Though the red juice jugs are showing at the manufacturer as "out of stock" at the moment...