Wednesday 12 January 2011

Primeval pleasures

I suppose I ought to confess to this guilty pleasure.


It's a tv scifi series called Primeval.


You have almost certainly not seen it, what with it being produced by ITV and all.


I have only seen it on DVD but, I confess, I find it strangely addictive.


The premise is simple: holes called "anomalies" keep opening in the space/time continuum (whatever that is). Our gang of zoologists/academics must contain the dinosaurs and assorted creepy-crawlies that make their way through these holes into our modern world: raptors inconveniently appearing in John Lewis, and all that.


Strangely, the holes only seem to open up in England, always within driving distance of their central London HQ (I s'pose helicopters would take too much of the budget).


But let's not look too far for logic in what is just entertainment.


This programme is basically just an excuse to wheel out loads of CGI dinosaurs and a smattering of future creatures (these time holes don't only go backwards, you know).


And that, in turn, gives our cast of good-looking actors the chance to run around, appearing all brave and manly (even the women).


That chap (James Murray, above) has so far "had" to take his top off in two episodes, showing us his magnificent torso and intriguingly shaped chest-hair. Very tasty-looking, if I may say so. None of the rest of the cast has, so far, had to similarly disrobe.


The series provides a range of contained "heroes in peril" scenarios, and so far most of them don't feel overly repetitive.


I'm actually enjoying Primeval vastly more than I anticipated. Although watching it as it's broadcast, with numerous and poorly-placed advert breaks, would be, I imagine, a form of torture.

3 comments:

fellowshipenthusiast said...

omg I love this show too. I get it on netflix in the states and I thought the actors were good looking and the the show fun to watch.

Stewart Jackel said...

The chappie in the flanelette shirt has actually had the good fortune to meet the entire Melboune Metrail planning team: all four of them. He's indeed lucky to have met them before they get buried under yet another freeway extension.

Daniel said...

Love it too! It was on BBCAmerica a year or so ago. I hear the US has their own version starting soon. Gawd.