Monday 10 January 2011

Liverish again

I was going to do another post about British railway liveries. You know the sort of thing: how we got away from the restrained elegance of this:


To the tawdry extravagant waste of this:


And amazingly that's only a fraction of the liveries that currently run in Britain.

But then I decided it would be dull for me to write it all over again, and even duller for you to read it, so here is a trio of images which I think make the same point:


Rail Blue and Pearl Grey were the key colours of British Rail's striking new 1965 livery, with a splash of safety yellow. Some people hated these colours: I thought they were immensely elegant and modern.

Although some people hated the "reversed" livery, used on Pullman trains, even more:


But I look at a picture of something like this -- the Class 52, or "Western", possibly the most elegant diesel locomotive ever to run in Britain -- and I can't help but fall in love with this livery all over again:


How lovely was that?

You see: I didn't need all those words, did I?

2 comments:

Scott Willison said...

The collector in me enjoys all the different liveries; seeing them side by side in a major station gives it a vibrancy I love. Some of them are truly horrific though (East Midlands Trains, I'm looking at you).

Niall said...

I'll agree that some of today's privatised liveries are pretty ghastly. But at the same time I always find the blanket blue/grey era of the late 1960s to mid 80s pretty dull. The livery didn't really flatter a lot of the locos to which it was applied, compared to the various multi-tone greens, electric blues and rail blues they originally wore.
Some of the earlier privatised liveries were good (GNER, Anglia, FGE, MML etc.) But today it seems to be a competition to create the most garish eyesore that people WON'T want to be seen in. Taste and subtlety aren't fashionable right now. Shame really.