Monday 29 November 2010

Which?

Ok, I need your help -- or, at least, the help of those of you who are more computer-literate than me.


I'm in the market for a new computer which I'll use mainly for emailing and web surfing, and, with an external drive, to watch DVDs on the train. Long battery life, a decent screen and a good keyboard are the key prerequisites. Oh, and price, obviously. No heavy games processor needed (no gaming at all, in fact), no multitasking or massive spreadsheets. And it must be reasonably light and compact to lug around (say 10"-11" screen size).


Can I introduce the Toshiba NB305? This Toshiba, for those of you who are a bit out of date, is a "netbook", and so far it's the winner of my pathetic attempts at "research" into which very lightweight machine would suit me best. I like the spec., I've tried the keyboard and it suits me better than most other netbooks, and it also looks nice.


I definitely don't want to go the iPad route -- I've had a test drive over several days and I just can't come to terms with the touch-screen pad or the design of the software. I find it completely counter-intuitive and annoying.


About a thousand years ago my very first laptop experience was with a Toshiba (which was so ancient that its processing power would, today, be at the level of my microwave oven). But I liked it, it felt robust, and it did what I wanted without much fuss.


So, whaddya think, especially if you actually have one of these? Will it do the business? All help and advice gratefully received!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apple MacBook Air 11". It comes with Solid State Drive, so no moving parts. It's really small and light, but strong. Looks beautiful too.

chrisz said...

I juist got a Toshiba Satellite with a 16" display, harman/kardon speakers and Intel duo. I don't know all the specs but it works very well. Light to carry about, and super fast. First Toshiba I've hade and am very pleased.

LeDuc said...

Thanks, guys -- much appreciated.

Adam: I looked at the Air, but I could buy not two but three Toshibas for the same price. The Air is pretty and all, but it's not that pretty. And I've had some ropey experiences with my Macbook Pro which mean I'm no longer seduced by the idea that Apples are always easy to use and never go wrong.

Anonymous said...

Love them or curse them PCs are so popular that one can nearly always find a chum to help one out of a hole without having to risk a nosey-parker repair shop snooping inside to see where you've been!

I prefer matt screens when on the hoof, shiny ones can be a nuisance
bg

Anonymous said...

You can't usually go wrong with a Toshiba. I went for the Samsung netbook and I'm very happy with it, especially the 9 hour battery life

LeDuc said...

Thanks for all the input (including those of you who emailed).

I'm now the proud owner of one of these, a Toshiba nb305. And am learning a whole new set of tools to use it.

One thing is already clear -- it's a perfect companion to JDarkroom, my favourite (and free) minimalist word processing package. The two seem made for each other.

More software yet to download -- including Firefox to replace IE (or maybe I'll have a go with Chrome. Though I don't like the fact that Google records where I've been), and VLC to replace Windows Media Player.

More anon.

Anonymous said...

A wise choice. Toshibas have proved the most reliable and pleasant to use over the 20 years I've been on the Internet. I have to confess, however, that my last purchase is a Samsung as it even beats Toshiba for speed of loading and value for money.

Tommy said...

I recently purchased the exact model Toshiba, and I am very pleased with it. My computer needs are not great but, but the NB305 is reliable, attractive and compact!

Anonymous said...

A wise choice!