Monday 1 November 2010

Candid shots

Wunderkind Laura Pannack, a 20-something photographer, won prizes last year for a striking portrait. Her latest project is to photograph Young British Naturists.


This being Top Scoff, the emphasis here is on the male half of her portfolio.


It's the expected collection of greasy-looking pasty teenagers and early-twentyish earnest fogies.


But there's still something rather delightful about the quiet subversion of each of them.


Even here, where the boy coyly hides behind his girlfriend.


Pannack's non-nudes are rather fine, too -- I particularly like this foggy image.


But I'm not sure the aesthetics of these tatts go with the whole "innocence of naturism" schtick.


But I love her use of natural, muted colours:


And, really, what's not to like with an image like this:


Just makes me wish I had a fraction of her talent.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I must say I was delighted to see the photos in last Saturday's Guardian. Having been dragged around naturist clubs and beaches in the 70s I appreciate the ordinariness of the scenes