Saturday 20 November 2010

Taking a thought for a walk

It's funny how these things go. I was surfing for some images of the newly-revealed designs for the stations on London's new Crossrail railway line -- like this one at Farringdon:


When I found myself looking at an artist's impression of a rather lovely S-Bahn station in Berlin, at Ostkreuz, now under construction:


Which led me to a 1967 image of an electric steeplecab locomotive used in a glassworks at Ostkreuz:


And another from the same year, with it standing next to a gently simmering steam engine:


That, in turn, led me to the work of an East German photographer called Harald Hauswald:


Whose work includes this rare shot of a miner working, as I understand many of them do, naked:


Andthat, in turn, led to this utterly unrelated shot from 1958 of Pennsylvania Station, New York, New York:


With another from the same year by the same photographer.


By which point I was exhausted but content, miles away from my starting point but, oh, what riches I had encountered en route.

That is all.

3 comments:

tyncanman said...

A comment on the Farringdon frontage. It all seems a bit non-descript, but more importantly to me it doesn't look very funnelling.

I don't know the right terminology, but I expect a station frontage to naturally focus the flow of people towards entrances. The entrace to that frontage just doesn't look very distinctive.

Anonymous said...

Interesting pics of the Ostkreuz. Some info to interested readers and a small 'mystery'. In the background are also visible two EMUs of the Berlin S-Bahn. The steam loco is a prussian T14.1 (denoted as class 93.5 by the DRG), a 2-8-2T or more precisely a 1'D1'h2t. Now the small 'mystery': the steeplecab has two pantographs, one of the scissor type slightly offset and another of the type used by ancient trams. I wonder why? There are also two catenary lines isolated against each other (600v and 750v DC?). The steeplecab is a EL 4 of the east German LEW works, and could be adapted to 600v and 750v DC, but not sure, whether this could be switched in daily work.
The photo of the miner is well known here in Germany, the caption sometimes stating that it may get hot in the underground mines.

Niall said...

Why on earth would anyone work naked down a mine? Like it wasn't lethal enough already?

The design of that water tower in the middle pic reminds me of something else ;-)

Not blown away by the new look Farringdon though, from the outside at least.