Saturday 30 October 2010

Get me out of here

A faint glimmer of sunshine this morning has made me all nostalgic for the lost summer.


This sequence, of a jolly-looking chap on a sunny day, seemed apposite.


I was full of good intentions this morning, of getting up super-early and going on an expedition.


My traditional winter lethargy has instead kicked-in.


Nonetheless, I don't think I can string out coffee and surfing any longer: the time has come for decisive action.


So today I'm taking advantage of London Midland's "Great Escape" promotion -- anywhere return on their network for a tenner (or, more likely, £20 for first class).


You'll need to print off a voucher from their website and take it to one of their stations to redeem (the offer is valid tomorrow, too).


It's part of their punishment for their crappy performance earlier in the year, that they have to offer these delightfully cheap fares from time to time. I'm off to explore!

4 comments:

Stewart Jackel said...

And a perfectly charming expedition he turned out to be too; he's provided wonderfully cheerful images to brighten our grey, rainy Melbourne (that's Victoria, Oz, NOT Florida!) afternoon.

And .. today's Verification Word is 'sounchly'. Writing a definition of that shouild keep me busy for an hour or two. Sounchly ... hmmm ...

Anonymous said...

A very nice summery spectacle and I wonder if he's Australian... What a damned shame we're back on GMT! I can't see why we don't just stick with GMT+1 all year round, can you?

LeDuc said...

GMT all year round? Hell, no, that makes no sense. It assumes that our days are evenly spaced either side of noon, but they are not (well, not unless you're one of that tiny minority that gets up with the dawn and goes to bed at dusk).

The logical thing would be to adopt BST in winter and BST+1 in summer (or "Central European Time", as it's known by Europhobes...).

Spookily enough, I was intending to post something about that today, what with the clocks changing and all, but I went out and had fun instead. Maybe tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I was suggesting BST (i.e. GMT+1) all year round, with no changeover. Whatever is the point in reducing already short afternoons just when we need them to be longer? Or in lengthening summer evenings which are already pleasantly long?