Wednesday 8 December 2010

Spatter

A demanding friend wanted to watch something cheering and light on DVD. I introduced him to Dexter:


The basic premise is that our eponymous hero works as a blood spatter expert for Miami police, but in his spare time he is a serial killer with a code -- he "only" kills people who have murdered. It constantly plays with your own desires for the characters and your sense of what is "right".


It sounds cheesy, but that it's not is in large measure due to clever script-writing and a committed performance by the star, Michael C Hall (who I first encountered on the equally dark Six Feet Under, by the same producer). Dexter gives us voiceover commentary into what he's doing and what he's thinking: the contrast with our own code is both funny and chilling.


So compelling is Dexter that, after my friend had left, I found myself carrying on with the series: I now seem lined-up for a complete re-viewing.

I can't say I'm unhappy at the prospect. Dexter: recommended.

No comments: