Sunday 12 December 2010

French connection

On some of those days when I want to torture myself about what we've thrown away, I sometimes watch old British Rail adverts -- like this one:



As if the dulcet tones of Hywell Bennett were not enough, the ads were resolutely honest about what had not been good enough and what they were doing about it. With some wit and style, too.

Some people think the 2.5 minute long 1988 epic advert directed by Hugh Hudson (and designed to be screened only once) is one of the best commercials of all time. Here's the edited down, 1.5 minute version:



That was designed to get your emotions all stirred up (and I particularly loved that all-too-brief shot of that beautiful Wessex Electric in its Network Express livery), but it's another, earlier, BR ad that's my favourite and it always, always makes me smile:



Pure genius.

And to think: at one time BR actually had to advertise their commuter services to drum-up passengers. Halcyon days.

1 comment:

Niall said...

That last one made me laugh. Very entertaining. At least BR had a sense of humor and wasn't affraid to admit to its weaknesses.